Friday, April 23, 2010

Volcano Ash and the London Book Fair

I am back from England after nine days. I went to the London Book Fair one day and enjoyed it thoroughly. However, because so many flights were cancelled in and out of Heathrow for six days, there were quite a few displays that were blank. Also, people mentioned that it felt very sparsely attended. Many people were trying to get back from Europe by train, car and rail and boats. In a word, life as we know it was on hold. I went to three seminars: ipad (get one); survival of independent bookstores (have happenings); and who is reading on ipads vs. Kindle, etc. A LOT of people. Sales are very high of ipads compared to similar sales on Kindle in the past year. I particularly loved the creative energy of the bookstore speakers. Once I find my notes, and unpack, I will try to tell you who and where they are. It is amazing what can be done. Certainly, Mrs. Dalloway's in Berkeley has similar happenings and have a strong following. Gardening books are a specialty.

No comments:

Post a Comment