Friday, April 30, 2010

Contradictions by Jean Pestell

Contradictions

I remember the bomb-sites
but not the buildings,
talk of the enemy,
although I never met one,
blackout curtains,
not the bomb in Hendon that shattered our windows.

I remember our Jewish neighbours, the Beckharts,
not why they’d left Wiesbaden,
hearing Yiddish spoken by local shopkeepers,
never questioning why they were here.
I remember turning on their lights on the Sabbath
but not why they had to pay me to do it.

I remember going to a Catholic school,
even though I was C of E,
nuns leaving for missions in Africa,
yet so few of them were really kind.
I remember buying an African child for half a crown to be ‘saved’
but never felt shame as I put a gold star in my scrapbook

I remember going to school in France later
but not why they blamed me for the war;
they said we’d bombed their port of Brest,
not that the Fuhrer’s ships were sheltering there.

I remember learning about prejudice early
but not how to justify it.

I remember my first ever German friend from Dusseldorf
but not the significance of her mother’s pension from Krupp;
her father was killed by the Allies
but I didn’t understand why he’d fought against us.

I remember my first German boyfriend in Spain,
not why he’d been on of the Hitler Youth,
our shared love of art, literature and philosophy,
not the fiancĂ©e he’d already had in Hamburg.
I remember breaking up with another boyfriend,
yet will never forget that gin doesn’t make misery disappear.

I remember learning about life’s contradictions early
and not to forget to remember that.

Copyright jean pestell April 2010

1 comment:

  1. I loved the poem! Ps on typo. = one
    tom in Norway 69 years old

    ReplyDelete